Penn State Trees

For years this Platanus occidentalis (a Sycamore tree) has watched silently as I passed by on my way to my office. It is a majestic tree standing between Henning Building and Ag Administration Building. Only recently have I been formally introduced and learned this tree has a name -- C464. I also know it is 44 inches in diameter, has a spread of 72 feet, and is 77 feet tall.

I came across this information quite by accident when my daughter showed me the Trees of Penn State site. Maintained by the Office of Physical Plant this site shows the location, history, and relevant details of every tree on the University Park campus. And the site has news, fun facts, and a lot of other tree trivia.

Make sure you explore the Search by Location link. It will show a map viewer with tools to find all kinds of information about the trees.

Check out the planting of the first elm trees at old Old Main.

Comments

Popular Posts